*please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my posts compact may not work*

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Moth in the Mirror by A.G. Howard (А.Г. Говард - Мотылек в зеркале)



Release: October 22nd 2013 by Amulet Books, 40 pages

4 out of 10
Genre: retelling, YA
Stuff: fairy, Wonderland, guys fight for Alyssa
Fail: too much J
WOW: Morpheus
Love-Geometry: hard

Quote-core: “Romance wasn't fair. Nor was it a game. It was war. And, as on any other battlefield, compassion and mercy had no place there.”

Summary

Morpheus wants to know more about his rival for Alyssa's affections, so he digs into Jeb's memories of his time in Wonderland. But he may be surprised by what he finds.

Review
Too much of Jeb for a novel named THE MOTH in the Mirror.

What I got:

- Morpheus isn’t just a winged humanoid something, he’s a fairy (I called him that in my review for the first book, but I found this fact in the bonus).
- And not just mere fairy — a solitary one: selfish and fickle. He can’t feel true love for anyone but now he fell for Alyssa.
- Morpheus can rave and storm. Literally. With lightning!
- Jeb is possessive and draggy (this is not a new fact but nota bene!)
- Jeb tortured a little sprite with an iron bracelet for information about Morpheus. Little sprite, dammit!
- Morpheus is awesome in both roles: flirty winker and cunning threat-maker.
- Jeb prefers Alyssa over his own family (mental health of Alyssa’s mother is more important thing than mother and sister of Jeb, it doesn’t matter that they wouldn’t be able to keep their heads above the water if he would die, ‘cause Jeb was their main source of money).
- Jeb’s moves and acts (especially sacrificial-ones) are hilariously stupid, because vide supra.
- Morpheus tested human emotions and enjoyed it, because vide infra.
- Morpheus wants Alyssa to be happy, but not going to give her to Jeb without fight.
- Morpheus is up for something.

I just can’t get over the fact that 20% of this bonus were for Morpheus and the rest 80% for Jeb. Where’s justice in this world?
Too much of Jeb for a novel named THE MOTH in the Mirror.

На русском...

Жанр: ретеллинг, YA
Фишки: фейри, Страна чудес, мужики не поделили Алису
Фейл: слишком много Джеба
WOW: Морфей
Геометрия чувств: хард

Цитатосуть: «Любовь нечестная штука. И не игра. Это война. И как на любом поле боя, состраданию и милосердию места в ней нет».

Аннотация

Морфей желает узнать больше о своем сопернике в борьбе за сердце Алисы. Он проникает в его воспоминания о времени, проведенном в Стране чудес. Но то, что он в них увидит, может его удивить.

Ревью

Для новеллы, названной "Мотыльком в зеркале", индекс присутсвия Джеба криминально зашкаливает.

Интересное да полезное:

  • Морфей не просто человекокрылое нечто - он фейри (эту инфу я озвучила и в ревью к книге #1, но почерпнула ее из бонуса).
  • И не фейри фейри, а фейри-одиночка. Эгоистичный, ветреный, не способный любить, а теперь внезапно влюбленный в Алису.
  • Морфей может рвать и метать. Буквально. Молниями.
  • Джеб собственник и нуда (это не новость, но nota bene).
  • Джеб пытал маленькую фею железом, чтобы добыть инфу на Морфея (маленькую феечку!).
  • Морфей одинаково забавен и в роли флиртующей леталки, и в роли хитрой угрожалки.
  • Джеб ставит интересы Алисы выше интересов своей семьи (ментальное здоровье матери Эл важнее его собственных матери и сестры; ну и фиг, что они во многом зависят от Джеба - он готов помереть).
  • Мотивы Джеба и его жертвенность до смешного идиотичны, потому что см. выше.
  • Морфей потестил человеческие эмоции, проникся, но см. ниже.
  • Морфей желает Алисе счастья, но отдавать ее Джебу без боя не станет.
  • Морфей что-то задумал.

20% бонуса изложены от лица М, и 80% от лица Д.
Где справедливость, а?


************************************************************************************
Splintered (Разделенная надвое):
************************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment